Join us on May 14th at the Gardendale Civic Center

Guardianship of a Minor

Guardianship of a Minor

What is a Guardian and What is a Guardian’s Role?

In the state of Alabama, a Guardian is an individual who looks after a person and their health, well fare and well-being.

In contrast, a Conservator looks after a person’s financial assets and business affairs.

The legal Guardianship of a minor is created when a county probate court holds a hearing to appoint a person to take care of the minor, who is called a ward. The court may appoint a Guardian when a minor child’s parents die or become incapacitated.


Are there Different Types of Guardianships? Yes.

Limited Guardianship – where the appointed guardian has the power to make specific decisions about the ward’s life;

Full Guardianship – full guardianship, in which a guardian can make decisions about any aspect of the ward’s life; and

Temporary Guardianship -a temporary guardianship is usually appointed in an emergency. Such a state of emergency might be an abusive situation in the child’s home. Temporary guardianship, which may last up to six months.

A Temporary or Emergency guardianship is not meant to last beyond 30 days, but it can be renewed.

Guardian Ad Litem – is when lawyer is appointed by the court to represent the interests of a potential ward only for the duration a court action.


What are the Steps to Become appointed as Guardian?

A minor is defined as an individual under 18 and a parent of a minor is a natural guardian of the child.

The person interested in becoming a guardian must file a petition for Guardianship in probate court in the county where the child resides or where the child is present when the guardianship proceedings commence.

The court sets a hearing and gives notices to the appropriate parties, such as the person currently caring for the child.

The court will then appoint a Guardian and issues Letters of Guardianship to establish that the person appointed has the legal power to act as a Guardian.

  • The court can and shall appoint any person who would act in the best interests of the minor.
  • The guardian does not need to be a family member.
  • If the minor is 14 or older, the court can appoint a person that the minor nominates.
  • No bond is required for a guardianship, but a bond is required for a conservatorship of an estate.

Alabama laws relating to the Guardianship of Minors are found at Alabama Code Article 2, Division 1. This is not the section relating to an incapacitated person. That section is Article 2, Division 2.


What are the Requirements and Powers of Guardianship?

Any qualified person may be appointed as a guardian of a minor. Candidates include a person named in a parent’s Will, a relative of the child or an adult nominated by the child who was caring for the child. An adult sibling of the child may be qualified to be the child’s Guardian. A parental appointment has priority, but the court can ignore priority and pass over people to select the person it deems best to serve.

A Guardian is required to assume the responsibilities of a parent to support, care for and educate the ward. They must take custody of the ward and establish a home for them. The guardian must report the ward’s condition to the probate court.


What are the Benefits of Having a Guardianship?

A guardian ensures that the ward will receive reasonable care, including emotional and financial support. A guardian looks out for the ward’s health and welfare and can act to compel the payment of child support to provide means to pay bills for the ward. A probate court can limit the powers of a guardian to make certain decisions about the ward’s life. Typically, the probate court requires a guardian to have an attorney to ensure that the guardian is following the probate court’s procedures correctly.


What is the Length of a Guardianship?

A guardianship of a minor ends upon the minor becoming an adult. Guardianship may also end upon the resignation of the guardian, death of the guardian, adoption of the minor, marriage of the minor or death of the minor. The guardian of an incapacitated adult has the same powers and duties as a guardian of a minor.

A minor may have a condition that causes them to be incapacitated as an adult, such as a severe developmental disability or infirmity. In this situation, the individual who served as the child’s guardian before the child turned 18 may be able to continue to serve as a guardian for the adult child.

Do I Need Estate Planning?

The State of Alabama provides an estate plan for everyone. It is a one size, and it fits everyone. Fits everyone? Not really.

We Cant wait to hear from you

417 4th Avenue SW #270 Cullman, AL

204 Main Street Suite 128 Trussville AL

Serving Alabama with customized Estate Planning.

Useful links

Business Hours

contact us

Fill out form below for free consultation